Taunton Classic Motorcycle Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the forum of Taunton Classic Motorcycle Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Paula

Paula

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Its Picture Time   The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 11:04 am

Andy has sent several e-mails with photos attached. I have tried to pick a few to give a "flavour" of the trip so far!This first photo is back in Somerset - the truck all set to go.

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Backupathome_zps747394df

On the way to Zalama -
The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 005Custom_zps53c73265

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 TheRoadtoZalama2_zpsb0751662

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 TheRoadtoZalama5_zps215e1497

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 008Custom_zps1b24292e

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 JD010Custom_zps17818bca

At Zalama
The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 JD011Custom_zps2ab02dc7

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Zalama_zps1e4a4a1b

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 011Custom_zps077a47bd

And now the food, starters and main course are fine but the desert was eaten before anyone thought about a photo - Andy's words were " took photos of the starter and main course but forgot the pud. It was so scrummy I only remembered to take it after I'd eaten it and all the other plates were empty too".The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 ZalamaStarter_zps3d139d24

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 ZalamaMainCourse_zps5694acd1

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 ZalamaDesert_zps273d1a2e

Day 2 - Zalama to just North of Madrid via Burgos. You see this T Rex as you approach Burgos.

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 028Custom_zpsacee8a7f

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 GoingtoMadrid3_zpsc5565295

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 GoingtoMadrid2_zpse3fd279c

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 030Custom_zps7145cab1

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 026Custom_zps30e293b8

And at the end of a long hard day what you need is "Red with Lumps" aka 5 Bean ChilliThe Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Day2RedWithLumps_zps1cecf609

Day 3 and 4 Madrid to Cuidad Real and onwards to a place unknown (just South of Ronda).
The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 017Custom_zpsbf3fdc7a

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 019Custom_zpsae27a7dd

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 018Custom_zpse7f2f5d0

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 015Custom_zps2b642816

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 013Custom_zps0e4ee863

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 007Custom_zps24da896e

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 010Custom_zps4d6af504

And finally - everyone needs a Teddy BearThe Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 022Custom_zps87053927

or in Andy's case several

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 023Custom_zps47516dbf
Back to top Go down
Paula

Paula

PostSubject: They are now at Alcaidesa - Day 5   The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 5:31 am

Just had my daily phone call and they had a lovely ride from Ronda to Alcaidesa.

They were staying just outside Ronda and so rode through it this morning - they did stop for photos so no doubt we will see those soon.

As they left Ronda they could see what looked like rain ahead and it turned out to be rain with mist. Very poor visibility so visor up and apparantly there was a strong smell of fenugreek in the air! The rodes were greasy and lots of red blooded Spaniards overtaking on blind corners etc. Anyone who has been on a bike in Spain will know exactly what I mean - those drivers who cannot bear to be overtaken by or stay behind a motorcycle. The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Yikes

Despite the weather the ride was spectacular - twisty rodes rising to 1000 metres then down again. Up again to 800 metres and the descent this time brought with it dry rodes and clear skies.

When it was misty, however, the valleys were shrouded in whisps of fog and mist and so did look beautiful.

The little 90s handled the twisties spectacularly and it seems to have been great fun. The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Moped

They went through Los Angeles and kept seeing signs for Canada and so at times were wondering where exactly they were going and where had they gone wrong.

Of course there is a Los Angeles in Spain http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles

And Canada is the Spanish word for Cattle. The fact that Canada is written in a red triangle with a picture of a cow may be a bit of a giveaway! The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Doh

They were in Alcaidesa by 11am and so had an opportunity to change all the oil on the little 90s. A few went off to explore - they tried to find the beach but as this is a "New Town" built in the 1990s the beach is blocked by villas and resorts. They could, however, see Gibralter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Alcaidesa

Later a few of the group went to Algesiras to look for a bike for Peter but no luck sadly.

Total miles for Andy - 100 today.

They are in a camp site tonight and so Andy is back on cooking duty - Vegetable Pad Thai noodles tonight and I know that it is scrummy!
Back to top Go down
Bob1

PostSubject: Re: The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90   The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 6:26 am

We'll done Andy on the start of your adventure. Watching with great  interest and brilliant reports from Paula .
I see the alcohol  is helping, ride safely  and sleep soundly.
Back to top Go down
eric stocker

eric stocker

PostSubject: Re: The Road to Bansang   The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 7:59 am

Brill pictures Paula and great reports , keep up the good work and glad Andy and the team going well take care all ,

Eric and Jacki
Back to top Go down
Sly Mick

PostSubject: Re: The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90   The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 8:23 am

Well done to all,fab photos and up upates ,cant wait for next instalment.
Ride safe guys.
Mick 'n' Shell
Back to top Go down
Paula

Paula

PostSubject: Photos have arrived by Carrier Pigeon   The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 10:32 am

I have received an e-mail with 50 photographs attached and so I have tried to pick just a few - here goes.

This first one must have been taken at dinner last night at La Casita

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 DinnerLaCasita_zpsd916c5b4

Now the departure this mornng

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 LeavingLaCasita_zps79cf7d12

The famous bridge in Ronda with little Chubby on it!

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 ChubbyonthebridgeatRonda_zps2ee00792

Then add an Andy

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 APampChubbyonthebridgeatRonda_zps8b3b5234

and here are some Chads looking over the wall??

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 ChadsatRonda_zps26effcbb

there are loads of shots of Ronda so I chose just one

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ronda3_zpsfb74a9fa

Bit of advertising for Andy's LS2 helmet given to us by Gavin

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 LS2sonholidayinRonda_zps5aaaab60

What a motley crew - do not think they will be required for an advertising photo shoot!

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 TheMotleyCrew_zps5d516b46

The road out of Ronda is picturesque but sadly very misty

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Noteasyriding_zps51067271

How did he take this one?

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 APcloseup_zps87efd805

The conditions do improve and both bikes and riders enjoy the journey

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ontheroad3_zps1754f29a

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ontheroad4_zpsac33cb23

When they get to Alcaidesa they have completed the chores (oil change and checking bikes) and put their tents up. Most of the group are content to relax but Jill and Andy decide to go off to explore.

They did manage to find a beach even though the beach at Alcaidesa it was hemmed in by posh villas!

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Thebeach_zps532e76fb
[url=https://s101.photobucket.com/user/AndyHumbug/media/Gambia Day 5 onwards/Anicebeach_zps314bbf7a.jpg.html][/url]

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Greatlight_zpsa418b52a

And Jill does a bit of paddling - well you just have to dont you?

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 IsthisJillpaddling_zps9effd5af

And of course the mandatory photo of bike and owner

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Andyoutandabout_zps8de98b10

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Jilloutandabout_zps4144d306

And the little Cubs look so good together - I am sure it will quite traumatic saying goodbye to them at Bansang

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Donttheylookcute_zps1706c878

I think the grey blob is Gibralter.

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Gibralteragain_zps9eee96bb

I guess this is a light house - very strange angle though.

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Notsure_zps1fe9fd1f

And finally - these Teddy Bears do like to get into the limelight

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Andthebearscametoo_zpsfcb61498

Well thats it for tonight folks - this ride report is taking me hours every evening - I was not banking on this - no doubt it will get worse as the journey becomes more interesting and challenging- I just hope I will get quicker as I become more competent - I can live in hope!!!!

I also apologise for the references to the photo's origin which has appeared on every picture - this has not started to happen until now - confused - I certainly am!   :?:
Back to top Go down
SPANNERS

PostSubject: spanners   The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 5:22 am

Thanks for the daily update Paula what would we do without backroom staff wine
Back to top Go down
Paula

Paula

PostSubject: Re: The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90   The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 6:11 am

Day 6 - Thursday - ride from Alcaidasa to Algeciras to get the ferry to Tangier Med in Morrocco. When Andy phoned me they were on the side of the road as he has had a puncture - Jon was very kindly replacing the tube for him. At that point they were not sure if they would be staying tonight in Chefchaouen or Tetoan. Whichever it will be a campsite. I think it is vegetable bolognese with pasta tonight.

I think Andy is struggling with the camping - he is not the best sleeper on the planet and he fnds it hard to get comfortable on his little camp bed. He is far too used to the comfort of Wobbly Box.

Today Steve rode in the van - he has hurt arm - someone was passing him a heavy bag and thought he was holding it so let go - it fell on Steve's arm - it seems he is quite a lot of pain. Peter rode his bike so that was good for him.

The Morroccon scenery has been amazing today - The Rif Mountains are spectacular - pine forests abound and when you look at the mountains the sun is shining down on them, creating a great picture.

They rode through a market town and it was mahem. There were people and goats all over the place just walking out in front of you. The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Eek7

Andy had to stop for traffic right next to a fish seller - he said there were fish all over the place and the smell was pretty unpleasant. Onthe other hand he said a few moments later he could smell meat cooking and that was so nice it made his taste buds wake up. The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Drool

The roads sound a bit like Thailand (when you get off the beaten track). You go along on good surface for a while and it suddenly degenerates into massive potholes and/or subsidence. However, I am sure this is good compared to what is to come!

I have no idea when the next lot of photos will arrive as I am not sure when wi fi will be available - it could be as long away as the Zebrabar in Senegal....................... The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ne_nau
Back to top Go down
Paula

Paula

PostSubject: Day 7 - Chefchaouen to Mekness via Volubilis    The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 8:44 am

Later call tonight as the time has changed - just crossing from Spain to Morocco has gained them 2 hours - how that can happen I have no idea. In Spain they were an hour ahead of us now they are an hour behind. I guess that from Sunday we might be the same - but who knows! The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ne_nau

They were all up early this morning. Andy said he slept quite well until a load of Moroccon dancers started their music at 3am followed by a group of Swiss guys starting up their bikes. And then - guess what - a very nearby cockerel!

Dennis was up as usual at about 5am - and it appears that some of the group thought that the bike starting up was his! That made them get out of their beds in a hurry! Anyway, whatever the reason they were all on the road early today.

Andy did not say how many miles they have covered, I do not think it is that many as the going was hard and slow. The pot holes were even bigger and worse than those, was the deep gravel where an attempt to repair the road had been made.

They kept going - taking a quick stop for some mint tea and another for a "side of the road" lunch of bread and cheese.

They climed into the mountains and then they came to a huge plateau - it was very windy - a head wind just to make things harder. However, it sounds as if the scenery was amazing. Andy said that the road on this plateau cut through fields as far as the eye could see - ploughed fields with stubble where the grass or wheat had been harvested. The sun was starting to lower in the sky which gave these filelds a red/brown and golden look - quite magical.

They did get a chance to stop at Volubilis but they only had 40 minutes there. Volubilis is a partly excavated Roman city in Morocco situated near Meknes between Fes and Rabat. I did not know that I have just investigated it with Wikipedia!

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=volubilis+maroc

Apparently it is massive and you could spend a day there - I did say that seemed like a good reason for us to go back next year - it will be on Beaker (our GS) though and we will NOT be camping! The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Nod

It seems that they are now pitching their tents, cooking a meal and packing up in the morning all in the dark. Does not sound like fun to me!

Tonight they are camping near Meknes which is just south of Moulay Idriss - my geography is rubbish - I failed my O level - and so I have consulted Google Maps:-

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?clie...0f84a3de286cc9

Although this google map does not show Chefchaouen it is due south of Tetouan which is shown. You can see Mekness and you will see Midelt, where, (per my list supplied by Dennis a while ago) they should be heading for tomorrow. However, they are running a day behind due to the Madrid vist and so the route may change. We will just have to wait until tomorrow........
Back to top Go down
Paula

Paula

PostSubject: Day 8 Saturday   The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 7:50 am

They awoke to rain this morning plus it was not that warm. They set off at 8.30am heading for Midelt via Boulemade and Sefrou.

The lunch stop was at Boulemade where they had chicken and chips. I am not sure how the chicken was cooked because Andy took one bite and his temporary crown came off! He broke the tooth just before the trip and so the temporary crown was supposed to last at least until he comes home. The crown was saved (minus a small piece) and fixed back on with Super Glue - Yes, I did pack the mini tubes of Super Glue but I was not envisaging it to be used on Andy himself. I just hope that the dentist can get the crown off The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 EekHaving been stuck to various things with Super Glue I know only too well how strong it is. In fact I am not allowed to use it unless I am supervised!

They have covered 180 miles today and Andy is finding little Chubby surprisingly comfortable.

The day did see an improvement, in that the rain dispersed and it got warmer. In the Mini Atlas mountains he expected to see John Wayne riding towards him on horse back - the scenery was akin to a Western film - a straight road with just a couple of bends through a barren plain with sandstone forms on his right. They climbed to just under 3000 metres.

On leaving Sefrou they found themselves on a dual carriageway but that soon degenerated into very bumpy road - those poor little Cubs - The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Comfort

It was also windy and they struggled to get up to 30mph into the head wind.

They arrived at Midelt at about 6.30 after 10 hours on the road - apart from fuel stops they had one tea stop and a lunch stop so a very long day with only brief breaks.

Although they have stopped tonight at a camp site, I am not at all surprised that both Andy and Joe have decided to make the most of the hotel on site. There is also a restaurant so Chef has a night off. The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Friday

Everyone else is camping - in my opinion they must be gluttons for punishment - I know where I would be sleeping!

Tomorrow is a long day 380 kilometres (236 miles) down to Marrakech. Hopefully if there are no mishaps they will be there to get pitched up and then go into the Souk for a meal. This should be one of the highlights of the trip so I wait with interest to tomorrows call.

I am just off to negotiate a mortgage to fund the cost of these daily phone calls!!!!
Back to top Go down
eric stocker

eric stocker

PostSubject: re: The road to bansang   The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 7:54 am

Thank you for all the reports Paula very interesting to read and well done Andy and the team you doing well , keep safe and ride safe . Look forward to reading the next report Paula.

Eric and Jacki.
Back to top Go down
SPANNERS

PostSubject: Keep it up Paula   The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 12:52 am

Keep it up Paula your daily reports of Andys exploits are now a( must read )good luck with the mortgage .study
Back to top Go down
Paula

Paula

PostSubject: The next traunch of photographs   The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 7:07 am

Quote :

An early start from Alcaidesa to ride to Algeciras to get the ferry for Morocco.

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AnearlystarttoAlgeciras_zpsbd726634

Tickets to be purchased and then await the boat

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ticketsfortheferry_zps61f76262

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Theboat_zps9b5d51b5

All aboard

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ontheferry_zpse93960af

Goodbye to Spain

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 LeavingSpainbehind_zps15b6c004

Hello Morocco

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Moroccoherewecome_zps40aeb99c

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Morocco_zps5e5b0f83

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Morocco2_zps92e0c3b6

Chubby gets a well earned rest onboard the ferry

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Chubbygetsawelldeservedrest_zpsa41cb883

Time to press on - regrouping underway

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Timetoregroup_zps11798415

What a relief - Jon and the truck came along too

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 PhewJonandthetruckhascometoo_zps7f4c49b5

Are we all ready then?

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Areweallreadythen_zps940b3dcd

The first scenery in Morocco

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Firstview_zpsf9f637c7

And relax.........for 2 minutes anyway

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Andrelaxfor2minutes_zps758274c7

Barren waste land

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Barrenwaste_zps78c0c3f0

Soon turns into a very busy market town

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Toaverybusytown_zps1d9d9a06
[url=https://s101.photobucket.com/user/AndyHumbug/media/Gambia Day 6 onwards Morocco/toaverybusytown_zps1d9d9a06.jpg.html][/url]

Poorly Chubby -can Doctor Jon sort his puncture out

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 PoorlyChubby_zpsadf79a50

Wow!

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ooh_zpsd067c122

Off we go again

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Anothercampsite_zpsdd70102f

Chubby is well again and poses for a photo

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Chubbyiswellagain_zpse5ec6068

Did I really take that picture?

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 DidItakethat_zpsfe10a2be

This must have been signposted "View Point"

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Viewpoint_zps2cb20bda

Cool Dude

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 CoolDude_zpscfbb17c3

Great Scenery

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Scenery_zps18839d26

"I can go faster than you - I have very fast donkey"

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Icangofasterthanyou_zpsc3d784ee

C90s on the move

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 C90sonthemove_zpsfe3b8516

Spot the traffic!

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Notraffic_zps4211af98

Stand by your beds

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Standbyyourbeds_zps84fd2c19

Did you order me a mint tea?

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Awelcomebeer_zps49b6dc96

New best friends

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Newfriends_zps7b43ae4c

Two Cool Dudes

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 TwoCoolDudes_zps2c32f321

Moto GP eat your heart out

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 MotoGPeatyourheartout_zpsfbc492c7

Does anybody know the way?

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Wherearewe_zpsd368414e

It must be this way

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Mustbethisway_zps5175f3ce

Lads who "do" lunch

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ladswhodolunch_zps0ff5300d

A bit of off roading

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 OffRoading_zpsaa525e01

Any room for a little C90?

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AnyroomforalittleChubby_zpsca6bcf50

Wow!

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Wow_zps345aca8c

And finally - what can I say - WOW!

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Wow2_zps5c694cd4

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 ProgressThe Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 ClearEdit Post   The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 ClearReply   The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 ClearReply With Quote   The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Multiquote_40b  Blog this Post     

Last edited by Paula on Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:25 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Paula

Paula

PostSubject: Volubilis   The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 8:22 am

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ap_16310

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ap_16410

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ap_16710

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ap_17210

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ap_17410

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ap_17710

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ap_18010

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ap_18110

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ap_18210

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ap_18710
Back to top Go down
eric stocker

eric stocker

PostSubject: Re: The Road to Bansang and Volubilis    The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 8:55 am

WOW Paula , what fantastic pictures there are amazing , glad chubby is okay take it , it had a puncture . They seem to be getting well on the way , they must love the scenery , i really enjoy the pictures and reports every night thanks Paula .

Eric and Jacki .
Back to top Go down
Paula

Paula

PostSubject: Day 9 Sunday Midelt to Marrakech    The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 11:19 am

248 miles today and yes they made it to Marrakech. 9 hours 30 mins - other than fuel stops they had a brief coffee stop and a bread and cheese lunch stop. A long day me thinks - numb bums all round.

It was sunny but cold when they set off - but made worthwhile by yet more stunning scenery - mountains on the left and hills far into the distance ahead of them. Mainly desert, but the last 40/50 miles was on good tarmac. Prior to that the potholes were just enormous - the type you could fall into never to be seen again.

They saw the landscape change many times - dry river beds and huge gullies that clearly do run with water when the rains come.

Andy says that he has not see a Camel yet but lots and lots of Donkeys - these are heavily laden and often have their legs tied together so that they are able to walk but not able to trot or run.The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Nono

They are at the campsite at Le Relais tonight and tomorrow night. Andy has opted for a sort of Yurt - a comfy bed with en suite facilities. The others have stayed faithful to their miniscule tents. In my opinion I think the yurt is a sensible move - there is plenty of opportunity ahead of them to suffer in a tent.

Tonight they ate at the campsite restaurant and tomorrow they plan to go in a taxi (or two) into Marrakech to explore and then have a meal in the Souk. They do have to check the bikes over in the morning though.

There is internet acces and so Andy has sent some photos - I think there is still more to come in the morning! I know that when I am sitting on the back of the bike I take far too many pictures and I get told off when I get home and it takes ages to download them. However, the next time I get told off I shall - very politely - remind him of all these photos.......

Photos so far are on the next post
Back to top Go down
Paula

Paula

PostSubject: The latest photographs   The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 11:32 am

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ap_00110

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ap_00310

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ap_00410

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ap_00510

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ap_00710

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ap_01410

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ap_01510

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ap_02010

The yellow 'snakes' in the field are onions being stored for the winter. They mount them on rocks and place straw and tarpaulin on top to have them survive the winter.

We stopped at the side of the road and saw some apples in the trees. They were Golden delicious and they were just that! We all had one. Scrumping in Morocco eh! Here is Jill with an apple in her hand!

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ap_02210

Gosh - they are so neat -you would think that I am there supervising - but it is clear that I am not there as Jill's bike is not in line with the others

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ap_04310

And finally for tonight - little Chubby posing yet again

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ap_06710
Back to top Go down
Paula

Paula

PostSubject: A quick update   The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 12:52 am

I have received an e-mail this morning so thought I would do a quick update while I eat my lunch!

Sounds as if they had a great meal last night (Sunday) they ate chicken tagine and kofta.  It was delicious.  The bill with plenty of red wine came to 15 euros each. 

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Dinner10

Andy said he slept really well in his luxury little house - it's got to be better than a tent!

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ap_s_h10

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ap_s_h11

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Ap_s_h12

Next pictures will be today in Marrakech
Back to top Go down
Bob1

PostSubject: Re: The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90   The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 6:45 am

Well done Andy and Paula, looks like Andy,s having a great time while Paula slogs away to keep us all up to date.
No doubt it will get harder especially when no alcohol is involved at Andy,s end !
Keep up the good work, both of you.
Back to top Go down
eric stocker

eric stocker

PostSubject: Re: The Road to Bansang   The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 8:29 am

Great reports and pictures , well done Andy and Paula some great reading and pictures to look at , keep riding safe Andy and the team ,

Eric and Jacki .
Back to top Go down
Paula

Paula

PostSubject: Day 10 - Monday 28th - at leisure in Marrakech    The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 10:37 am

The morning spent doing domestic chores and checking the bike over - Little Chubby rattles more than when he set off but is still going well.

A bit of laundry to do followed by a spot of lunch from the supplies on the truck - Thai instant noodles - very very nice - not at all like the ones you get in supermarkets here.

We are in the same time zone now - made that way by our clocks going back - and it will stay the same for the rest of the trip now.

Very hot and sunny at the camp site. The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Smile

About 2.30pm they all piled into taxis (I assume they needed more than one) to go out on the town - Marrakech.

Marrakech was much hotter (31 degrees) but no sunshine - overcast and sticky - I guess that is down to pollution.

Bit of a nightmare all staying together in the crowds and I think Andy and Jill wandered off on their own. They saw the Grand Mosque but did not go inside - they had shorts on and I do not think they wanted to be dressed up in the clothes that are sometimes provided at these places!

They did, however, go to the Jewish Cemetary which is thought to date back to 1492, and they paid a visit to the Synagogue.

Dinner tonight was taken in the Souk - they had mainly skewered meat and Jill had fish. The food does not sound inspiring -once you get fed up with Tagine and couscous there is not too much choice other than the usual Steak Hache!

I should be geting some photos later and they did spot a little Yamaha Fizzy whist on their walk around.

They did find a bike for Peter - but apparantly he did not even want to go and look at it! Said he is happy in the truck and can be useful as a back up rider if anyone is (God Forbid) unwell and unable to ride or just in need of a day off.

Well Andy has got his nice little house to sleep in tonight but after that it is wild camping. There will probably not be any wi fi now either until Senegal.

Tomorrow they have about 150 miles to do but they will be hard miles - they head for The world famous blue rocks of Tafraoute, - painted in 1984 by Belgian artist Jean Verane. Verane used about15 tons of paint on this massive project.  :flower: 

If all goes well they will wild camp right by the rocks.
Back to top Go down
Paula

Paula

PostSubject: Day 11 Tuesday - leaving Marrakech   The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 10:38 am

Andy called at about 7pm tonight, they had covered 150 miles today and had set up camp just off the main road. They had eaten their Pad Thai, and, as there is a limit to what you can do in a pitch dark wild camp they were going off to bed. A really fun packed night then......The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Rolleyes

They are still 80 miles away from Tafraoute and so have not yet seen the Blue Rocks - hopefully they will see them tomorrow.

Today has been a spectacular ride crossing the 'Tizi n'Test' Pass at 7000feet or 1.3 miles high.
Tizi n’Test is an awe-inspiring pass that crosses the Atlas and connects to Taroudant and Taliouine. Cutting right through the heart of the Atlas Mountains.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/niallco...n/photostream/

They left at 8.15am this morning and had to negotiate a route through Marrakech passing a new building development of very upmarket appartments on the edge of the city.

Out of the city and onto the Plains it became a little cooler - straight roads with cactus growing everywhere.

In the distance through the mist, the Atlas Mountains came into view - the route then snaked over these mountains - climbing and climbing and then going down a little bit before ascending again. Coming down finally was stunning.

At one point Andy had a wobbly back end - The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Eek7- it was not a flat tyre but certainly a soft one. Replacement back wheel was the Doctor's orders this time.

They have had a great day as far as the scenery is concerned - it has been very hot - they are all very dirty and dusty and I am sure tired.

They were on the road for 9 hours with one coffee stop and a side of the road lunch stop of cheese triangles and mini cheddars. At one point (around lunch time) Andy said that there were tantalising aromas drifting out of a cafe - no time to stop ws the answer to a request to get some of the delicious smelling food.

What is the saying "An Army marches on it's stomach". Clearly the adage does not apply to C90 riders!      The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Toungeincheek
The more I hear the more relieved I am that I am here with my decorating tasks!
Back to top Go down
Paula

Paula

PostSubject: Marrakech - Photgraphs   The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 11:20 am

Particular note to be taken of :-

THE FIZZY - an unexpected sighting - an interesting restoration project?
THE SNAILS - cost 50p were cooked in spices and were delicious
THE HONDA - could have been Peter's but he never got to go and see it.
THE PLATE OF FOOD - yes it is a picture of dinner in the Souk!

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP004Custom_zps8bd794f7

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP005Custom_zps821cafe9

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP006Custom_zps025aa054

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP007Custom_zpsacbfc537

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP008Custom_zps99412fb4

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP009Custom_zpsb1bd6ea5

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP010Custom_zps7eec1c0f

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP011Custom_zpsa3776aa1

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP012Custom_zps7884b69b

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP013Custom_zpsb2b30c47

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP014Custom_zps29810540

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP015Custom_zpsf93c0d28

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP016Custom_zps1a042456

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP017Custom_zps252f25be

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP018Custom_zps47790ceb

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP019Custom_zps5e203b7e

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP020Custom_zps57ec119e

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP022Custom_zps7d22720d

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP023Custom_zpsb57b21fe

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP024Custom_zps3ee66031

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP025Custom_zps9f8e3368

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP027Custom_zps8dd3feca

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP029Custom_zps30e24258

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP030Custom_zps5da3bb0a

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP031Custom_zps6281b048

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP032Custom_zpsb1d6fe13

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP033Custom_zps8ecb6569

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP034Custom_zps7b41d9c3

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP035Custom_zps9e716be9

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP037Custom_zps2932d282

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP038Custom_zps048095d8

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP039Custom_zps365c108e

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 AP042Custom_zpsc9ef6aff
Back to top Go down
eric stocker

eric stocker

PostSubject: Re: The Road to Bansang   The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 7:30 pm

Fantastic reports and pictures are amazing Paula keep them coming so good to read and see every day .

To Andy and the team , well done you all doing great keep on riding safe ,

Eric and Jacki .
Back to top Go down
SPANNERS

PostSubject: daily updates   The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 6:12 am

well done Andy what an adventure , Well done Paula fantastic bulletins and photos.wine
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90   The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Road to Bansang- Andy's trip to the Gambia on a Honda C90
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next