Taunton Classic Motorcycle Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the forum of Taunton Classic Motorcycle Club

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Lubrication concern

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
kawasaki

Lubrication concern Empty
PostSubject: Lubrication concern         Lubrication concern EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 10:27 pm

Bounce

My son in law has a Susuki 750 ,which has a leaking cylinder head, consequently it consumes large quantities of oil. To save money he put a none semi synthetic oil in the sump, this inadvertently has caused clutch slip. Will reverting back to the correct oil reverse the problem eventually.

Ian Whitehead
Back to top Go down
Andy
Admin
Andy

Lubrication concern Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lubrication concern         Lubrication concern EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 8:27 am

I doubt it's the fact he used non-synthetic oil that has caused the clutch slip. It's more likely he has used an oil developed for car engines. The majority of car oils contain friction reducing chemicals. Part of the JASO-MA standard is a friction test designed to determine suitability for wet clutch usage. An oil that meets JASO-MA is considered appropriate for wet clutch operations. Oils marketed as motorcycle-specific will carry the JASO-MA label. A properly specified motorcycle oil will still allow for the appropriate lubrication and cooling of a motorcycle clutch, whilst maintaining 100% of the drive to be transmitted by the clutch, even under arduous operating conditions.

Reverting back to the correct oil will not, in my opinion, cure the problem - but I may be wrong! It is likely the clutch plates will have become coated in the friction reducing elements. If it were up to me I would take the clutch plates out and clean them thoroughly at the very least but in reality I would replace them. It's a little like soaking your brake pads in oil - they would never clean up the same again.

What year Suzuki is it? The 1970's aircooled models were a doddle to replace the clutches on. I haven't worked on the watercooled ones but I shouldn't think they are too difficult.

I hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
https://tdbcmc.forumotion.com

Lubrication concern
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Taunton Classic Motorcycle Club :: Technical :: Technical-
Jump to: